Saturday 18 June 2011

Sticky Note 15: Modrian Bookstore (Knjigarna Modrijan)

Recently, I noticed a large amount of viewers from Slovenia visiting 'Little Yellow Sticky Note'. This made me quite excited as I have a huge soft spot for Slovenia having travelled there a number of years ago and absolutely loving the place and the people. 

While I attempted to control my excitement I began to think about Interior Design in Slovenia. So I undertook an intense google session to see what was happening in the world of Interior Design in one of my favourite places. What I discovered was an eclectic mix of unique and modern interiors. In particular, I discovered a wonderful design firm called AKSL Architects. They have an amazing portfolio of work that you can check out at:

AKSL Architects have generously allowed me to blog about Modrian Bookstore (Knjigarna Modrijan) and for that I would like to say 'Hvala lepa' which is 'Thank you very much' in Slovenian.

 Photographer: Miran Kambič

Photographer: Miran Kambič

The Mondrian Bookstore is housed in a building in Ljubljana, Slovenia. The building was completed in 1938. Modern interiors set in a historical building always have an inherent charm, which is what Mondrian Bookstore pocesses.  

What I love about this bookstore is that it has a very distinct atmosphere that makes visitors immediately feel at 'home' with the environment. With the warmth of the materials used throughout the space and the way in which the books have been displayed like they are sitting in a bookcase, you would think you were standing in your own living room. 

Photographer: Miran Kambič

Photographer: Miran Kambič

The blue high back chairs in this photograph are being commonly used in office spaces to create small informal meeting areas. AKSL have cleverly placed these chairs into this bookstore as the chairs have acoustic qualities and visual screens which creates a peaceful oasis to sit and read a book. Infact, the designers have have used many notable furniture pieces, can you guess what they are?  


Photographer: Miran Kambič

The books are arranged by subject area in a bookcase style format along with mobile pedestals that can be moved around the space. This gives the space flexiblity to be multi-functional. The client required functions such as book presentations, cultural events, press conferences and slide shows to be performed in the bookstore. I personally cant think of a better place for those functions!

Photographer: Miran Kambič

Particular attention has been paid to the lighting throughout the space. Direct and indirect lighting has been used over the bookcases. I love this effect as it gives a halo appearance to the bookcases. The large blue chandeliers in the central space contributes to the warmth and comfort of the interior. 

Photographer: Miran Kambič 

Photographer: Miran Kambič

If you look closely at some of the photographs, intimate reading spaces are scattered throughout the bookstore. They are made up of a black reading chair and black floor lamp which contrasts directly with the warmth of the rest of the interior. I just love these cosy spaces, it makes me want to grab a coffee and a book and hide away for a few hours!  


The warms tones and ambient lighting make this an approachable space for kids and adults, I just love the little furniture for kids! 

Photographer: Miran Kambič

Photographer: Miran Kambič

The glass panels enclosing the stair case and the managers office on the mezzanine level add to the openness of the space, this is my personal favourite feature. Detailed and executed just beautifully!

This bookstore is more than a place to buy books, it is truly an experience.

Architect: ASKL Architects
Client: Modrijan Publisher Ltd.
Project completion: September 2009
Gross Area: 370 m2
Net Area: 300 m2
Value: 90 338 EU
Photographer: Miran Kambič

Please feel free to leave comments as I love hearing from you.

I hope you all have a lovely evening and please stay tuned for more work from the wonderful team at AKSL Architects.








No comments:

Post a Comment